Monday, December 6, 2010

Why I Don't Want to go into Ultrasound

This last weekend at work was pretty good, much better than a full moon, busy enough to keep me awake, but not so busy that I want to die.  As soon as I showed up on Friday night I had to go in to chaperon an ultrasound.  We had 3 in a row actually.  All pregnancy ultrasounds.  Scooby was working late that night, and really I wanted to just go help him out in MRI, but I did my duties, as unpleasant as they sometimes are.
   The first patient was a 22 year old.  As the tech went through the exam I noted him looking for the fetal heartbeat, and not finding one.  I also noted him working quicker than usual.  I think once we both realized what we saw, we didn't want to be around when the girl found out.  But as soon as he was done she asked the question we both hoped she wouldn't, "Is the baby OK?"  In most cases we're not really supposed to tell the patient what we see, we usually say "The doctor will look at the images and let you know"  but he didn't, he just said "there's no heartbeat".  I almost died.  I got out of there as quick as I could and resumed my duties.  I tried the best I could to hold it together, but inside I hurt so bad.  Life is so unfair sometimes.
    The next patient was a 24 year old. A little less far along than the last patient in her pregnancy.  When I went in everyone was just laughing and joking, the tech, who had just told the last patient that she had lost her baby, seemed unaffected by it.  I did the same.  Her baby was fine from what I could tell, the tech printed her pictures of the baby sucking it's thumb.   The mood was totally different, it was the first time they had seen their baby.
        I thought about this the rest of the weekend.  I thought about trials and blessings, about how life can change so quickly. I thought about my family and my siblings and their families.  I thought about the sealing covenant and how important it is, because you really never know what could happen.  It made me think about a lesson my last relief society president Kiki gave this summer. She talked about how the marriage covenant we make in the temple is not just for the couple being married, it's more about the children being born into that marriage, the children who deserve those blessings!  I rejoice to know Heavenly Father's plan has protections for families, for parents and children, and I'm blessed to have already set standards for my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment