Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tender Mercies

I learned a perspective lesson last weekend. 
       All of the week before last was pretty miserable for me.  I had a cough that ended up turning into a sinus infection, I've been feeling really behind in my RS duties, and I am at Deaconess working evenings the entire month of April.  Boo April.  Basically it all added up to a horrible day. Wednesday, at clinicals, everything went wrong. I felt like a horrible person, and I was completely unprepared for the skull anatomy test the next day at 7:30am. Then I came home and there was a mini-party in my living room, that I not only couldn't participate in because I had to cram before the test, but I even with earplugs and a humidifier going I couldn't mask the noise and couldn't concentrate. 
       All in all, I was pretty proud of myself for the way I handled everything on the surface, my problems are my problems and I have thick skin, but deep down, I was frustrated and hurt. 
       I called in sick on Friday for clinical, which I consider a blessing since going back to Deaconess was not sounding fun, even if I was feeling well.  Work was pretty average, but I came home early every day.  Sunday morning I woke up for PEC and decided it wasn't going to happen for me.  I started to send a text to the Bishop to let him know, and to tell him what I would have reported on, but the list was too long, and I realized that I really needed to be there.  So I got up and went.  It was the hardest PEC I've ever sat through.  It wasn't even PEC I don't think.  And I once again, felt about 2-feet tall just like on Wednesday. I ended up just staying for the passing of the sacrament and then going home to rest.
      That's when everything changed.  I rested well, I took some more drugs and neti-potted ;), I ate food, and tidied up a little. By the end of the day, a handful of people had checked in on me to make sure I was doing OK, I got to talk to 3 of my 4 brothers, one of them offered to fly me to Hawaii this summer, a trip to Costa Rica got reinstated for June, and I studied some great church material.  Besides that, Jonny-bob was on his way up to visit me the next day!  I didn't feel much better physically that night, but my spirits were lifted tremendously. 
   Then this week, I got to see the little bro and hang out with him for a couple days (I didn't play hookie, I really was sick when I called in sick....who cares if I spend my sick day in bed or with family?) and then I went to Wenatchee for an x-ray conference, which wasn't the greatest thing ever, but it was one less week at Deaconess.....so it was wonderful ;)
     This experience It reminded me of this talk President Eyring gave a few years ago. The biggest lesson I got out of this talk is being grateful and expressing it.  You can bet I was on my knees that night in supreme gratitude to my Heavenly Father for knowing so intimately what I was going through, and knowing my needs.  My trials were not taken away, but I was reminded of the blessings I have and through His tender mercies I was given the strength to persevere.  I am not currently keeping a blessing journal, but I consider this my medium for that right now.  On the mission I made miracle walls with a couple of my companions, showcasing the miracles we saw every day for that transfer.  Taking that wall down each transfer was difficult, but inspiring.  And I testify that when I focused on the miracles and blessings I received during those times, I received the most blessings. 

HERE'S TO POSITIVE ATTITUDES!

No comments:

Post a Comment