I've been thinking a lot tonight about what the Sabbath is and means to me. I work every Sunday. I don't want to work Sundays ever, at all, but I work at a hospital and there sometimes is just no way around it. I struggled a lot making the decision to take this shift, but in the end, I realized that if I didn't work this graveyard shift, all other weekend shifts would interfere with church services, and missing church every Sunday was something I was not willing to compromise with. Also, by working this shift, they can never ask me to fill in on any other Sunday shift which means my schedule is guaranteed to never interfere with church. That being said, I still sometimes feel like I'm rationalizing my breaking of the Sabbath.
Lately though, I hadn't been feeling so badly about it. I still hold my calling, no one seems to judge me for it. I still attend church meetings, (I do delegate ward council out to my counselors) I go to PEC every other week even though it only gives me about 3 hours of sleep, and I still go to school 5 days a week 7:30-5. I also rationalize it by the amount of work I actually do on Sunday....typically there is not a whole lot going on before 7am on Sunday morning....I said typically. Today has been different. I've been busy. Super busy. Between ultrasound, MRI, loading films from other facilities, 4 trauma patients, cath lab......I have not felt like this is a "day of rest", and I haven't considered it as such. However....deep down I still know it's Sunday.
What I usually do is I don't think of the Sabbath as starting for me until I walk out of the hospital, I turn church music on in my car on the way home, I sleep a few hours and do my normal Sunday stuff, but is that the wrong attitude? I'll admit, I also don't fast on the scheduled fast Sunday because of work, I just can't make it through an entire night without at least something to drink, but I do try to fast a different, less stressful day of the week, or just fast from about 3am on until dinner. Sometimes I do try to read the scriptures online while I have some down time at work, or the Ensign, or some talks, or the Sunday school lesson for that day, but it doesn't erase the fact that I'm working on Sunday. I like my job, I enjoy the people I work with, I feel like I'm making a difference and serving, but I guess I wonder if I'm missing out on some blessings because of my choice to work on the Sabbath, and I also wonder if I could ever teach others about the importance of keeping the Sabbath when it may seem on the outside like I don't do so myself.
You can't get down on yourself. There are certain jobs that you have to work on Sunday's. I think you are doing fabulous job trying to juggle everything, I know people who work in the AM on Sunday and don't make it to church cuz they are too tired. To make yourself feel better, just say, this isn't not forever, it will change, I just have to be patient and get through this chapter of my life.
ReplyDeleteYou shouldn't feel guilty about this. There are so many other things to feel guilty about--for example, having not sent me a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting in the mail yet.
ReplyDelete