It's official! We are all moved to Cheney. The move went really smoothly thanks to a load of help from friends and family, and even the cleaning of the apartment went quickly with Shaush and the kids helping. Ella kept saying over and over, "Bacon look how clean it is! It's so beautiful!" Thanks everyone for the help!
The new digs are better than I was expecting. Everything fits very easily and feels like home already. The only real downside is the small kitchen and lack of a dishwasher. Jamaal compains everyday about doing the dishes, but our apartment sure stays clean! But other than that I like the layout and the storage. The morning after the move however, we went to use the bathroom for the first time. I couldn't really inspect it during the walk through because the electricity hadn't come on yet (They said it would be on sometime between 7:30 and 3.......duh) and so I didn't know till the next morning when Jamaal stepped on a piece of glass in the shower and cut his foot. Who wouldn't want to wake up that way? Once he figured out that the water faucet had hot and cold backwards (this was after trying to turn up the heat on the water heater which was impossible to get to) he also noticed that only about 1/2 of the water actually comes out the shower head, the rest kept drizzling out of the bathtub faucet. The toilet runs after you flush it unless you jerk it up really hard, and the stopper to the sink was broken so we had to take it out altogether to let water drain out.....besides that the shower doesn't drain very fast and is moldy.....But whatevs. They'll fix it eventually. I've only called three times so far.
But really I like it....my favorite part? I ride my bike to work everyday now! 6 minutes! I love it! Of course it might take longer once school starts beacuse the traffic will pick up. Today on my way in I only saw one other soul on the street, a janitor walking down the sidewalk of the school. Cheney is like a ghost town between semesters. So is the clinic. But I don't care. It's nice having all the streets and stores to myself once in a while.
The only other problem is our internet. Comcast doesn't service our unit. And the only other 2 servicers are at least 50 bucks a month for their slowest speeds....which is like turtle slow. I can't believe how hard it is to not have internet at home. I had to bring checks to work with me to deposit them through the EWU wi-fi. And who knows if any of our bills will ever get paid on time. Expect me to only respond to internet things at work I guess. It has been kind of nice though. It's given us time to get settled in, just need to unpack the pictures and decorations now. And last night we even had time to go to the Cheney city pool, which was oh so reminicent of the Prineville pool. About the same size, same number of lifeguards, same dilapidated interior and showers. It was nice I felt like a kid again. Good thing we made it too. It was the last day of the season and family night price is only $3 per family.....luckily we didn't even have to break the bank because the lifeguards just used a leftover season pass punchcard someone left and let us in for free :) Made it all worth it.
Also, if we spread our tv antennas out all the way we can pretty much hear and see most of FOX and NBC on our TV. It only cuts in and out every few minutes. Woot!
So anyone wanting to come visit the Calkins recidence is now open! We have and extra bedroom, a super big living room, and 2 airmattresses!! As long as you don't mind wearing flip flops to protect against the broken shower glass...... :) We would really love visitors!
No comments:
Post a Comment