Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Conference Weekend

I love conference!!  I wish I had been better prepared for this one, and that I had been able to get more sleep.  I did end up getting kinda sick this weekend, and am still feeling it a little, and with my work schedule.....well, going to bed at 7am when conference is at 9am seems a little futile. But it was good nonetheless.  I learned a lot, and got a lot of answers I wanted, and maybe some I didn't. It was good timing though.  First let me share part of a letter I got from a good friend serving her mission in Vegas.  This is an edited version of what she learned from her president interviews last week:

" He told me once again that I have to love myself where I am at.....and I am too hard on myself....I guess sometimes I get discouraged because when I get on my knees at the end of the night I think- there was one more person we could have talked to, one more person we could have called, a person we could have left a note for.... I just never feel like I am doing enough.....
he gave me a blessing. That I would be happy with where I am at, to see myself as God sees me, and to almost relax. haha I guess I am just a stress bag. I didn't even realize it...but I think a lot of people do that- we all think that we aren't good enough- that we aren't worthy to be where we are. Something i learned from President is that we are not asked to be perfect. We are asked to do what we can and then let the Atonement of Jesus Christ to come into our lives. If we don't do this, then our faithfulness to Jesus Christ is discredited and we become worse off than we would be if we just accepted Christ and let him do the rest....So I am enjoying the journey."

So with that in mind I watched conference.  From President Uchtdorf I learned that I need to simplify my life and cut some things out....like Facebook. He quoted Divinci
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" 
Beautiful huh? From Elder Ballard I also learned to cut out facebook, you know why. President Packer reminded me to stop making excuses - to not fight against the laws of God, and President Monson taught me that I can do it!  (As in get off facebook)  OK that might not be what they all talked about, but that's what I learned.  LA said she was impressed with how much I stayed awake during conference, so I think that's a plus ;)
 Basically, to have faith in God's promises is to take action, and I am responsible for myself, and for my relationship with God, which is most important above all else.  I can have the blessing of the Holy Ghost constant in my life, and I know what things I need to change.  I'm putting my oxygen mask on first!  ;)

2 comments:

  1. Can I just tell you what a blessing FB has been for me in my calling (before you ban it forever). I have found out how many of my sister's in my ward are doing, an yes I know face to face is better, but when you have 170 sisters an about half are innactive, you take what you can get. We also have a lot of sister's who won't tell us when things are going on, good or bad. But they feel comfortable with FB and use it, so, I will too. I'm not saying be on there 23/7 stalking your sisters but it is a goo resource.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... I need to get off FB too. But I was trying to ignore that subtle nagging. Thanks for reminding me. (I mean, not get off, get off, but have some definite boundaries about time on it).

    ReplyDelete