Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Why Do You Do It?

So we had the stake relief society leadership training meeting tonight.  It was way up north, I'm tired, I have no days off....ever, and I didn't really want to go.  Shame on me.  While I was sitting in the meeting, the stake president said something to the effect of:
"I'm not going to teach you women anything tonight, I just want to get up here to say thank you".  
At first I was frustrated by his comment, I thought, "You drug me all the way up here on a school night so you could tell me thank you?  If I don't learn something from this meeting I'm gonna scream. Why am I putting so much time and effort into this calling?"
Please Don't judge me, I'm just being honest here.  
Then I thought about all the times that I've told people that if you don't learn anything from a talk or a lesson at church that it's your own fault, because the spirit can teach you things that are never said.  Immediately I thought about a conversation I had recently with a friend,
After hearing about about my schedule, this friend asked me why I do so much and put so much time into the church?  And then proceeded to tell me that church is just a time sucker.
I'm sure that I responded with some logic or reasoning to prove she was wrong and actually church gives me more time.......But tonight I realized how wrong I was.  The spirit testified very strongly to me why I do this.  
It's Because It's True!!  
And I have a sincere witness that I know this is the true gospel! I know how to get back to heaven!  I know how to find happiness in life!  
Why that wasn't what I thought at the time, I don't know, but I am so glad that I have now remembered why I do it all.  And I'm so glad that I also learned tonight about opening my heart to the spirit.  
When I attend any meeting with a hard-heart, it will be a waste of time, but if at thee end of the day I have learned nothing, I only have myself to blame.

This is me happy.  
And not just because Shaw-Shawsh let me carpool with her ;)











No comments:

Post a Comment