I have a lot of things I need to blog about….now that my spring break is half over, but I couldn’t go to bed without journaling my latest thoughts.
First of all, my parents are moving to Missoula, best thing ever! I could go on and on forever about how big of a deal this move and this job transfer is for my family, and how perfect everything has worked out and all the miracles we’ve seen, and the long struggle of a road it’s been, but that would take forever. Let’s just say, it is wonderful. So my dad is out here now. I used to really hate the drive between Spokane and Missoula, but that’s because I’ve always done it at night, in the winter, in the fog, in the rain, and it scares me to death. But I couldn’t pass up an opportunity to see my dad, especially after he called me so excited Saturday night to tell me he got an apartment and he’d buy me a cot to sleep on if I came. He’ll be here all spring and summer until my mom can get the house sold and get little Jimmy graduated and off to college. So, even after a long weekend trip to Portland and Seattle and back in 2 days, I drove this morning to Missoula to spend the day with dad. We had fun touring and looking at neighborhoods and church buildings and other points of interest, and buying stuff to furnish his new crib. I also loved visiting his new office, and meeting his boss and some of his coworkers. As soon as I met them they said that he’d been telling them all day about how his little girl was coming to visit him today! See, I really am his favorite ;)
I’m so glad I came though not just for that but for the great discussions we’ve had, one in particular which has touched me in a very profound way.
We went to a movie tonight. The Adjustment Bureau. I’ll admit I mostly just wanted to see Matt Damon, and dad let me choose, so….. woot. Before the movie started we talked a little about relationships and knowing when it’s right and lots of great stuff. I asked him if he ever had any misgivings or hesitations about the men my sisters had married, and in the end he said basically that no, he never felt wrong about any of them, and I agreed and now feel like all of them have turned out to be pretty spectacular and just right for each of my sisters. Well, this movie is pretty good, and in the end is all about free will and choosing our own destinies and learning to take control of our lives (it really was a good message) but one of the underlying themes is of this couple that no matter how much the “powers above” try to force them apart, deep down they both know they are meant for each other and always were. After the movie dad said “that movie was about me and mom”
Jokingly I said “why cuz everything is trying to force you apart?”
He said “no, because I always knew we were meant to be together, and no matter how many other people we each dated, no other girl every measured up to her or fit like she did”.
Then I said, “Do you tell her that?”
He replied that he tells her all the time but she never believes him. We talked about it quite a bit more, but it took all I had to hold back my tears for so many reasons.
1. I am so grateful that my parents have that relationship. I never worry about them and their devotion and love for each other, what a special blessing and example for me to have
2. I’ve never felt like that with any boy. There’s never been anyone I’ve felt like was really perfectly right for me, which hopefully just means I haven’t met him yet (cue Michale Buble song)
3. I can’t wait to have a man say that about me. I hope I believe him, and that I will feel the same way.
I really hope my parents appreciate what a great thing they’ve got. I know they do. I guess I really hope that I and all my siblings appreciate what a great thing we’ve all got. We had a family prayer tonight and dad thanked Heavenly Father for helping us to grow as an eternal family, and asked him to help us keep it together. I can’t imagine not having the happiness each one of them brings me. Wow I am a lucky girl.
On a side note – this conversation reminded me of a good lesson I learned from Itsy, when I was deciding to go through the temple, and trying to receive an answer to my prayers she said that the only time she’d ever gotten a clear direct answer like the one I was trying to receive was when she was praying about whether or not to serve a mission. She said even when she was praying to decide whether or not to marry Eric that she never got a yes or no answer, and why? Because she said that she eventually realized that she always knew that she was supposed to marry him. She didn’t need someone to tell her because deep down she had always felt that.
This post made me a little teary too! Glad you had fun with your dad.
ReplyDeletePS Love that you chose a picture where his eyes are closed!