Sunday, March 13, 2011

Handling Trials With a Frowny or a Smiley Face

Church was great today. Definitely what I needed.  What was great was the girl I sat next to during sacrament kept saying, that she felt like the talks were just for her today.  Join the club!  I love that we can all go and hear the same talks and lessons, and yet come away with completely different spiritual revelations for our own personal lives.  One of the talks today shared this story:
The second talk was about optimism.  It reminded me of something one of my mission companions showed me.  In Mosiah chapter 21 of the Book of Mormon and then in chapter 24 there are two different stories of two different groups of people going through a very similar trial.  But they handled it very differently.  

Mosiah 21 is the story of Limhi's people who are taken captive by the Lamanites.
5And now the afflictions of the Nephites were great, and there was no way that they could deliver themselves out of their hands, for the Lamanites had surrounded them on every side.
 6And it came to pass that the people began to murmur with the king because of their afflictions; and they began to be desirous to go against them to battle. And they did afflict the king sorely with their complaints; therefore he granted unto them that they should do according to their desires.
  Limhi's people battle the Lamanites 3 times, and each time they are driven back and suffer many casualties.  Finally after having no other choice, they humble themselves, submit to the bondage and remember God.  
15And now the Lord was slow to hear their cry because of their iniquities; nevertheless the Lord did hear their cries, and began to soften the hearts of the Lamanites that they began to ease their burdens; yet the Lord did not see fit to deliver them out of bondage.
The people started receiving blessings and prospering more and more and eventually Ammon finds them and helps them escape out of bondage and into freedom.  

The story in Chapter 24 is of the people of Alma.  They come into captivity under Amulon.
8And now it came to pass that Amulon began to exercise authority over Alma and his brethren, and began to persecute him, and cause that his children should persecute their children.
Amulon put task masters over the people of Alma and made them slaves, but these people turned directly to God and started praying "mightily".  Amulon commanded them to stop praying and had guards watching them to make sure they didn't.  This was their response:
12And Alma and his people did not raise their voices to the Lord their God, but did pour out their hearts to him; and he did know the thoughts of their hearts.
 13And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.
 14And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.
 15And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.
The next verse says the Lord promised them to deliver them from bondage the next day.  

I wrote next to these chapters "Handling Trials with a Frowny Face" and "Handling Trials with a Smiley Face." The trials of these two groups of  people were the same, the end result was also the same, however, there was a huge difference in the way they handled their situations, and in their happiness and peace during the trials.  

We are all going to be faced with many trials and hardships in this life.  It is part of mortality and is no respecter of persons.  However, living the gospel and turning to the Lord during those times gives us the strength and help we need and desire to pull ourselves out of those trials, to make them less debilitating.   "For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Matt 11:30)
I believe this is so true.  God wants us to be happy, he wants to help us and strengthen us and ease our burdens, we just need to have faith and turn to him.  It can be as simple as a prayer and as difficult as repentance, but it's always worth it. I need to be more humble.  I need to remember the Lord more.  I need to have more courage to accept His will and realize that I will always be faced with trials, but I can always choose how to respond to them.  The Lord's way is always easier, and I don't have to go it alone!  

1 comment: