Sunday, September 12, 2010

Being Nice to Boys

Elder Scott gave a CES fireside tonight.  I love that man.  He visited our mission and taught me a lot.  His fireside was on....marriage.  Duh. He said a lot of insightful things, things about being married, preparing to be married, but what stuck out to me was something he said about his wife.  He said that the two of them never once argued in their home, and never said an unkind word to each other (hence why he is an apostle).  It reminded me a of a project I did back at BYU for a marriage prep class, I had to make a goal and work on it through the semester.  After doing the research and consulting close friends and family, I realized I needed to work on being nicer to boys.  Maybe it's just my personality, or maybe it's the way I deal with the nervousness of being around a boy I like, but I am mean!  Sarcastic, rude, I pick on them, taunt them......and what's worse, I usually don't even realize it.  DeeDee  told me that even though her and Stinkycheeze are both really sarcastic people, that they are rarely sarcastic or rude to each other.....because they would never want the other to think that they didn't love them.
How could these two possibly make fun of each other anyway?


So why am i rude to the boys I like?  Well it was reaffirmed to me tonight what I need to work on.  The question is, how do I recognize it, and how do I change that habit?

2 comments:

  1. I LOOOOVED that fireside by Elder Scott. I felt such a peaceful spirit while listening to it.

    You know, as well as I do, that I'm also a sarcastic kind of person :) I used to spend a lot of time thinking about the kind of woman I wanted to be/become (I still do think about that, but not nearly as often as I probably should), and something that really helped me was reading talks about womanhood and femininity... President Faust has some really good ones and so did President Hinckley and some of the former YW/RS general presidents. Sister Beck has a TON. I'm going to do some rereading of those talks soon and when I come across the ones I like I'll send them to you, if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love that. Thanks Rudi!

    ReplyDelete