Sunday, September 12, 2010

Family: Isn't it About Importance?

A couple weekends ago I had another one of those epiphany-type experiences at work.  This is actually two stories in one, and they were simple really.
 I had called in the ultrasound tech late that night for multiple ER patients. He had been pretty busy all night, so I knew I was gonna get roped into chaperoning him a bit that night. we had 2 pregnancy pelvic ultrasounds in a row.
Patient #1:
        This patient was a early 30's woman with her husband in the exam with her. It doesn't need to be said that if you're coming into the ER for pregnancy issues at 2 in the morning that you're not having a good day. What a blessing for that woman to have a supportive husband to stay with her all night and be there for her in her pain.
Patient #2:
          This next patient's exam was routinely the same, but with a much different environment.... a 16 year old patient there by herself. I believe her mom had had brought her into the ER, but all in all, a 16 year old, not even old enough to have a credit card, maybe not even able to drive yet, bringing a baby into this world, without an able father, and without the blessings of being born in the covenant.
         It broke my heart that it was obvious when these 2 patients passed each other in the hallway the latter was hurt and lonely, and probably had no idea the life she was missing out on. The first, although in pain, she looked hopeful and confident and safe. 

I'm so glad that my knowledge of the gospel, of eternal families, of temple covenants has kept me clean, and though I yearn for a family of my own, I know that it will happen on the Lord's timetable and that it will happen in the way God intended, and when I have to make late night visits to the ER, my husband will be there, supportive, loving, with an eternal perspective to lead our lives. I'm so blessed!  And...more importantly, I have the ability, and the responsibility to choose the better part for my children.
My Family is Eternal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment